Novel Research Makes My Google Search Results Look Suspicious

I've never wondered how fast a whale can go or the typical names of naval bases...until I started doing novel research. Below is a list of questions I asked Google or other sources for DAUGHTER OF THE FOAM, a novel I was writing in 2012 and 2013.

I'm no longer trying to publish that novel. Nine or so years ago, I queried a handful of literary agents, got rejections, and then started to doubt myself and my work. I put the novel aside and turned to my next project, and I'm afraid I've never gone back to it. I haven't given up on it completely. I still think it has a lot of potential. I'll go back to it and revise it someday, but the day has not yet come.

I'm always worried about how much to say about my writing on this blog before I give away too many spoilers about my stories. It's pretty easy to guess some details about DAUGHTER OF THE FOAM from the questions below, but nothing essential that future readers wouldn't learn from a novel summary. (I hope.)

Some of the questions I've asked are mundane. Other questions are not.

  • What are typical names of US naval bases?
  • What is a typical layout of a US naval base?
  • Does barbed wire float or sink in water?
  • What are the typical dimensions of hotel rooms?
  • What are the typical dimensions of elevators?
  • What are some descriptive words for colors besides blue, red, purple, green, etc.?
  • Is Ft. DeSoto Park called that or something else?
  • How far is St. Pete Beach from downtown St. Petersburg, FL?
  • How many boating accidents occur in one year? What are the typical causes?
  • How are mermaids described in literature? What are their powers/abilities/attributes/talents/cultural aspects?
  • How long and wide is the beach on St. Pete Beach?
  • How long and wide is the island of St. Pete Beach?
  • What are the names of the islands and bodies of water between St. Pete Beach and St. Petersburg?
  • What is the top speed of whales?
  • What do coral reefs look like?
  • Where can reefs be found in the Gulf of Mexico?
  • Do manatees travel in herds?
  • What are naval ranks and uniforms?
  • What do search and rescue people wear in the UK?
  • What are typical names of cruise liners? How often do they have accidents?
  • Where on Treasure Island is the stylized bird sign that inspired my fictional stylized bird sign on St. Pete Beach?
  • Does the Town of St. Pete Beach have a police force?
  • What is the name of the hospital in downtown St. Petersburg?

Comments