Photo Journal: Magnesite, Bobbins and Vacant Spaces (Brick Stitch, Netting, Bead Fringe Stitch, 2/2)

Now, I added more beads to the inner sides of the bobbins. These nickel square spacer beads would cover more surface area of the two bobbins.
I placed these round magnesite beads on top of the nickel squares. It looked good, and the magnesite rounds would help to keep the large nickel rings from moving too much. I didn't want the finished pendant to have any independently moving parts.
I used a netting stitch here to weave magnesite rounds and nickel crimps between the two large nickel rings. It looked good, and it would help to further stabilize the two rings and the overall design.
Now, I had this empty space in the middle of the pendant. I thought about filling it in and even started working on a design.
I didn't like where the central design was going, though. I decided I liked it better empty, so I backtracked. I removed the beads and thread that I'd used in the central design.
I turned my attention back to the bobbins. I used more of the nickel squares and the nickel crimps to cover up more surface area on the bobbins. Brick stitch came in handy here.
The pendant was almost done. All I had to do now was figure out how I planned to attach the pendant to a necklace chain or necklace cord.

I'd blocked the center shafts of the bobbins, I couldn't string the necklace chain/cord through the bobbins. I didn't want to pass the cord/chain through the central vacant space, since the design in that part of the pendant wasn't intended for that. I had to find some other solution.

The idea was that I'd make two of these little groups of beads, one attached to each of the large nickel rings. I'd pass a jump ring through the line of nickel squares in each group, and then the necklace chain or cord would be strung through the jump rings somehow.

I didn't finish these because I decided I didn't like where I was going.

So, I backtracked to step 50. I also spread a little glue on all the knots I could reach, which is just a precaution to keep the knots from unravelling, and cut off the excess thread.
I added these, although I'm afraid I forgot to photograph the steps where I wove them to the pendant.

Finally, I was done. Here's the finished pendant, which I strung on a black satin cord:

Total Time: 8 hours spread out over several days. I created this pendant in August and September 2014 and did step 62 in February 2015.

Comments