June and July in Review: Artwalk, the Erath Farkers Market, and Why I Love Attending Events

Geez, it's been a while. I made plans at the start of this year to post every week on this blog, and I haven't done that in months. So, in an effort to make up for that, let me explain what I've been up to in all that time. I'm going to break this up into a few posts due to length.



June and July: Lafayette's 2nd Saturday Artwalk and the Erath Farmers Market

I've attended an art festival, farmers market, or music festival nearly every month this year. Business was slow during the summer. Potential customers were likely away on vacation, or they stayed home due to the weather. From the middle of March until late September, it rained in Lafayette and the surrounding area every single day. If you think I'm exaggerating, let me assure you that I'm not. The rain fell in spurts or in downpours. I stopped noticing it after awhile, other than noting that the grass was, yet again, wet.

When it wasn't raining, the sun was evaporating the water. There was nearly always a breeze (foreshadowing the next burst of rain), but it was still pretty humid. Both the rain and the humidity likely keep customers from attending outdoor events. Those conditions made me wish I could stay home sometimes, too. It's always nice to set up my canopy at an outdoor event, giving Dawn Darbonne and I some shade on sweltering days. I always bring a lot of water to drink, too.

Regardless of the weather, Dawn and I carried on and continued to attend events. In June, we returned to downtown Lafayette for 2nd Saturday Artwalk. We set up our tables outside of the First United Methodist Church. We had plenty of sunlight and plenty of heat, too, since the church's front steps face westward and we had an unobstructed view of the setting sun.

We would have participated in Artwalk again on July 12th, but our spot outside the church is no longer available; the church organizers have elected not to participate in Artwalk anymore. Another spot along the main Artwalk route may be available in the future, if Dawn and I can find it.

So, while we didn't return to downtown Lafayette on July 12th, we did attend the Erath Farmers Market that very morning. Including the two of us, there were twelve vendors present, although I was told by multiple vendors and customers that there are typically a greater number of vendors. They also expected more customers to attend the next market in August. It wasn't as hot as it could have been, and we had plenty of shade. We set up our canopy under a pavilion at the Erath City Park. Dawn had new bags and other textile work for sale, including an Acadian flag, two pink poodle crossbody bags, Curious George-themed corduroys, a John Deere-themed girl's dress, and a couple of abstract fabric bags. The other vendors included a tupperware seller, a fish & tackle store and another artist selling jewelry and black and white photographs. Her style is much different than mine; among her work, I especially like her bas relief fleur-de-lys pendants and coasters printed with fleur-de-lys photographs. The rest of the vendors sold food ranged between hot tamales, cracklin', pepper jelly, and sno cones.



Why I Keep Going

During these months, when business was slow and the humidity could be pretty bad, I held onto my reasons to keep going. Thankfully, those reasons seemed to be plentiful. It helped that Lafayette's Artwalk and the Erath Farmers Market were both easy for me to get to and cost me little expense. All events, no matter what they are, require a bit of my time and physical energy--I have to add new pieces to my inventory, pack my car, drive to the event, set up, take everything down again at the end of the day, pack my car again, drive home, and unpack the car--but I have the time to spend, and I appreciate the exercise.

I like doing events with a partner or partners. I appreciate having people at the booth with me. It's nice to having someone I like to talk to, and it's nice to share booth responsibilities.

Another good reason to keep going to events is that I enjoy attending them both as a vendor and as a customer. I'll often spend a few dollars at an event, no matter what, although my budget is often small. I like talking to other vendors and taking a look at what they're selling. I like talking to customers, too. I like hearing their opinions about my art, and I'm glad I make something that some people like. I'm an introverted person for most of the week, but I do enjoy talking to people, and I've had some great discussions at outdoor venues.

Comments