May, June and July in Review: The One Where We Carry On, Regardless of the Missing Posts that Failed to Come Before

Well, it's certainly been a while since my last post. I apologize to everyone keeping tabs on the blog. I'm glad to see that people have continued to visit. A lot's been happening, but I still have time to write a blog post now and then, so I will endeavor to write more often.

Many things have kept me occupied this summer. I've made new jewelry and digital art, attended farmers markets and art fairs, worked on an overhaul of my web site, and done some fiction writing. There's a lot I want to share, so I'm going to discuss some of it here and talk about the rest in other posts.


Now on Facebook

And I now have a Facebook page and email newsletter for my jewelry/photography business. I share the newsletter with Dawn Darbonne. Do a search on Facebook for "Bits & Bobbins" and be sure to "Like" the page to receive updates about upcoming events, blog pots, activity at my Etsy shop, and DeviantArt posts. E-mail me at dfducrest@gmail.com to receive the newsletter about upcoming events where you can find the booth with artwork by Dawn Darbonne and myself.


On the Writing Front...

I've written a short synopsis for Child of the Foam, which I intend to include with several literary agent queries. I never realized before just how difficult it might be to tighten a 14-page synopsis, which was the length of my first draft, down to a 3-page synopsis, which is my current draft. It took me over two weeks to do it. So much happens in the novel that I consider essential. I've tried to keep important details in the synopsis while tightening the language as much as I can. I've removed paragraphs and sentences that cover several minor plot points, but it took a while to admit to myself that the short synopsis didn't need to include those plot points. I feel like I've got it as tight as I'm going to get it, but 3 pages is still too long to some agencies. That means I'm going to have to do some more revisions, if possible.

I've also begun outlines for a couple of novels. One is the sequel to Child of the Foam, the mermaid-themed novel I've been writing/editing/etc. for over a year. The other is unrelated and is about the young head priestess of a temple, who is turned into stone by a priest from a rival temple. I've got half of the first draft of the latter on paper, kept in notebooks I haven't really looked at in over three years, and I've written a few new scenes in recent weeks.


On the Internet...

On the internet, I've been working on an overhaul of the content of my web site. I will be staying at Angelfire for now, despite all of the annoying ads that come with a free web hosting service; at the moment, I simply can't afford to move, although I may look into other free web hosting services; more on that later. The site will keep all of its current pages--the gallery section, the writing excerpt section, the FAQ about beading, the links to my online shops, a list of upcoming events, and the rest--but I'm considering adding sections about freelance copy editing, freelance photo editing, and my jewelry/photograph business.


In the world of beading...

In July, I've been taking a break from beadwork and doing other work instead. I've been working on new steampunk items, including steampunk-themed notebook covers (a photo journal of my process is on its way). I'm planning to make goggles and other accessories for my costume for Lafayette's Steampunk and Makers Fair, which is coming up in November. I've also been doing a bit of digital painting, and I've been making some larger versions of some steampunk graphics that I've made too small in the past.

Although I've taken a break from beading, I did do some beading in May and June, and I'll go back to it soon. On DeviantArt, I've posted some photos of my recent beadwork; I'll be talking about that in a separate blog post soon.

Comments